Child Support

How much will I have to pay in child support?  How much will the other parent have to pay for child support?  These are common questions and will depend on different factors such as how many children the parties have, how much the parents make each month, how much parenting time each parent has with the children, monthly expenses such as daycare, health insurance, uninsured medical expenses, activities for the children, college expenses and more. 


The court first determines what the standard calculation is by using the Washington State Child Support Worksheets.  The court can then decide whether there is a basis for a deviation in child support.  A deviation is an increase or a decrease from the standard calculation in the child support worksheets.  There are many reasons for deviations listed in the statute, and we can discuss this with you.  The most common reasons for a deviation that we see is a substantial amount of parenting time for the paying parent or children that are being supported from another relationship.  If you would like to review child support with a qualified attorney, please give us a call or send us an email to set up a time to review your situation. 


If a child support order has already been entered in your case, there may be a basis for an adjustment or modification to the child support order.  We can also help you determine whether this is appropriate in your case. 


Another question a parenting may is, “Who should claim the child as an income tax deduction?”  This is something that should be addressed in the child support order, because if it is not, a parent can lose the deduction to the other parent.  Sometimes this happens when a parent has more residential/parenting time than the other or sometimes we see issues that arise when a parent claims the deduction first and then a tax return is denied.  When establishing child support, the superior court can decide who will get the income tax exemption each year.