Nonparental Custody

A non-parental custody action is when a person files a petition for custody of a child.  Though not necessary, these actions are typically filed by close relatives of the child such as a grandparent or an aunt or uncle.  We have even handled cases where a sibling has filed for non-parental custody.  The is a high standard for filing for non-parental custody as parents have recognized constitutional right to parent their children.  The court must find both parents unfit or actual detriment to the child if placed in the custody of their parents.  If you have any question about your situation, feel free to contact us to discuss it with a qualified attorney. Non-parental actions for child custody are contained within chapter 26.10 of the RCWs.